Where To?

IMG_2530

There’s a new trend in town: tucking your hair behind your turtlenecks. No kidding!

Where am I heading in the future? (Sounds pretty dramatic, huh?)

You would think that by now, I would have a very specific idea of what I want to do right after college.

Well, guess what? I don’t. And I would constantly spend hours late at night worrying and doubting myself.

Honestly, junior year has been a struggle – not just academically, but personally as well (although my emotions most likely have affected my performance in class, more or less). You would think that after my internship and all of my other relevant experiences, I would have a better vision of where I was going. But what you probably didn’t expect was the opposite; the fact that the experience actually made me question my capabilities.

There are these questions that I am constantly asking myself during times of stress (best times to ask, right?): What do I want to do and what do I really want to do? Will I be able to achieve them? How much does it matter if I pick one over the other? Will I be happy and well-fed (let’s be real: food is all a girl needs) if I pick either? And most importantly, will I have any regrets with the path that I plan to take? How are others going to be affected my decision? Will I let anyone down?

To tell you the truth, sometimes I wish I could graduate already (although that doesn’t invalidate the fact that I still am having 3 of the best years of my life here in college and that I do believe college has a lot to offer to people). It’s just that I often feel like I would rather invest my time on “other things,” personal projects that would better help me answer questions about where I’m going in life.

But maybe it’s because I am just being impatient. Or maybe I am right and I need to do something about it to change it… After all, I am not the type of person to settle.

IMG_2705

Note: Just because you wear a sweater doesn’t mean you can’t glam the attire up with a simple, chunky necklace. This outfit guarantees you to keep yourself warm all day. One oversized turtleneck sweater and one wool cardigan. Who needs a coat?

Although I wasn’t able to update my blog in November and December, I am glad that I was able to stay committed to it over the fall. Staying consistent with my fall posts was the goal that I had set for myself before the school year started, so I felt satisfied, knowing I was able to meet it with the help of my friend, Jessenia. Thank you so much, Jess!

As few as these posts might have seemed to you, they took up countless hours of my time. I would make sure to squeeze them in my busy weekly schedule, even knowing that I wouldn’t get much return from it. It was something that I had to do for myself. But honestly, I don’t think I would’ve been able to continue writing if it wasn’t for the photographers’ talents and all of your support, so THANK YOU.

So, I know that many of you are probably asking me why I don’t just go into fashion. Pursue your passions, right? But I don’t want to spend the rest of my life in one field…

IMG_2623

I confess, I like finance. Working with numbers and analyst reports, reading the latest market trends… As nerdy as it sounds, I think working in finance sounds really interesting. I find it fascinating to be surrounded by such knowledgeable people. I enjoy being in the know and being challenged.  And I think it’s very important to stay well-rounded and up to date with what’s going on in the world.

Then, the second question that I would get after all of this would be, “Why not combine or balance the two interests?”

I’m trying, ha-ha! That’s a start, right? Even now, just trying to balance between academics and my fashion blog can be a struggle at times. I don’t know how Jen from Extra Petite does it. #strugglesofaliberalartsstudent

But honestly, I hope that I don’t give up either path anytime soon, regardless of my past struggles. I want to balance between both – and I have, and I believe I still can.

So, my message to you: don’t give up. As cliche and cheesy as it sounds, it’s really important to not lose sight of what you want in life, especially when you start to face pressures from other people. Whether it’s a bad grade or a rejection letter, don’t EVER, EVER let that define you. Screw the system. You are much more than that. Move on and do something even better, because you are in control of your world. Nothing can determine your worth unless you let it. If you want to succeed, you can and you will.

I mean, I’m nowhere near perfect. I am still working on everything I’ve written to you, and I think what would help me a lot now would be to get away for a while (not that my college wasn’t far enough from home) and really explore and try new things while I am there. Who knows? Maybe a little separation will help me find myself.

IMG_2565

Announcement: Oh, and by the way, I actually do have a place to go already.

SHANGHAI, that is! Whoo! So excited!

To be brief, I will be studying abroad in Shanghai for a semester, staying there from January to May 2015. More information about my trip will be up soon, so look forward to it!

I am quite nervous about it, but I’d like to think that it’s normal for me by now to be constantly on the go.

IT IS TIME.

Peace,

Jess

THE LOOK:
American Eagle // Turtleneck Sweater | JC Penny // Cardigan // Ripped Jeans | H&M // Necklace

PHOTOGRAPHY BY JOANNE NGUYEN

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Where To?

1. Helen Le says:

I love your outfit! I also understand your struggle of not understanding what your future holds and also how to juggle both study and blogging but I hope it all works well in the end for you. I am also very excited for your trip to Shanghai congratulations! I’m quite young now but I hope to study abroad too 🙂

• Jess Nguyen says:

Aww, thank you! This comment is very comforting to read. 🙂 Thank you! Yes, you should definitely study abroad! Where are you thinking of traveling?

2. styliminal says:

Absolutely love the idea of tucking your hair into a turtleneck sweater/coat! Totally transforms the look! As for your confusion/dilemma etc about what you want to do with your life, I guess it’s best if you don’t worry about it too much! I guess if you want to do something “serious” (finance), it’s still possible to continue your love for fashion, your blog etc- if Jen can do it, nobody said you can’t too! 🙂 anyways enough of my ramble, but good luck with it all, I’m sure you’ll be just fine.

Also, I just launched my own little blog on Tuesday, and would love it if you could check it out and let me know what you think! 🙂

And one more thing that just popped into my head- a quote that goes something along the lines of this- “if you want it badly enough, you’ll make it a priority” ❤

Love, adela xx

• Jess Nguyen says:

I absolutely love everything about what you said in your comment. This is really encouraging. 🙂 All I have to do is keep moving forward with my head up, I guess, ha-ha!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out- you don’t know how much it means to me. Also, I checked out your blog. I DEFINITELY look forward to reading your posts – and I don’t say this to everybody! Your writing style drew my attention. Very insightful. Love the blog title.

“If you want it badly enough, you’ll make it a priority.” Great quote! Now to found out what are the things I really want…

• Adela says:

Hey Jess,
        You’re very very welcome! And yes definitely – as Walt Whitman once said, “keep your face always towards the sun and the shadows will fall behind you”! So keep moving forward, it doesnt matter how small your steps are, and if you make a detour, you’ll always find your way back, and perhaps, in retrospect, even be grateful and thankful that you went on the detour 🙂
        And honestly, if my comment managed to encourage you just that little bit, it makes me very happy 🙂 Plus, i love writing long messages to people!

And thank you so so much- i’m so happy that you enjoyed and liked what I wrote 🙂

As for discovering the things you really want, you’ll figure it out sooner or later seriously- but at least you know fashion is one of those things right?
        Love, Adela xx

• Jess Nguyen says:

Hi Adela!

That’s another great quote! I didnt know it meant that. Thank you. 🙂 And I love writing long messages to people, too! They’re just more genuine. I wished I had more tine to dedicate to writing them! Ha-ha.

🙂

That is very true. At least I know I want to work with fashion in the future. 🙂

Love,
        Jess

3. dannie54 says:

Well, first off, Congrats on your study abroad! You’re going to have so so so much fun. It’s going to be “go” all the time but it is so worth it. And I can’t wait to read all of your updates!

I know the feeling about just wanting to graduate already. The environment of university is great but classes get really tedious after a while. Like… I just wanted to get out of there already! But you totally got this. Just think how much more rewarding graduation will be.

xx-Dannie

PS, I nominated you for a thing. Here’s the thing

• Jess Nguyen says:

Why, thank you! Everybody’s been telling me that, and I really hope I do have fun in the end!

Yes, please do look forward to it. 🙂 I’m so glad you understand. It’s quite funny, really. We all eventually will hit a point in college when we wish graduation could speed up. Well, that’s what I think, at least. Ha-ha. But I definitely agree about the rewarding part. It will feel GREAT when I’m out!

Ha-ha. The thing. Thank you for the nomination! I’m flattered. I will take a look at it. I probably won’t be able to reply any of my tags until I get back from Shanghai. But I won’t forget! It’s on my checklist.

4. Wild Hearts + Green Tea says:

I could relate to this. About not knowing where you’re headed. But if there’s something I’ve learned it is that it’s completely, totally okay to not know. Just taking one day at a time and figure things out and doing what you love is more than fine 🙂 Your blogs looks lovely!

• Jess Nguyen says:

Thank you for the reassuring comment! You’re right. Maybe I should just take chances, follow my heart, and see where it goes from there. Psh, if something doesnt happen, it’s not meant to be, right? Ha-ha! XD

Thank you! I will be checking out your blog soon. Love the name!

5. Sophie Gallagher says:

Hey Jess! Thanks for liking one of my posts – I came to take a look at your blog and think you look so cute in these pictures so wanted to stop and say so 🙂 good luck in the future! Sophie x

• Jess Nguyen says:

Aww, thank you! I am flattered, ha-ha. Thank you. Hopefully, I will stop by Fashion Nomads sometimes soon! Good luck to you, too, Sophie. 🙂

6. Sophie Gallagher says:

Hey Jess! Thanks for liking one of my posts on Fashion Nomads 🙂 So I came to look at your blog and just wanted to say how cute you look in these pictures. Good luck with your future whatever you decide! Sophie x

7. madelinemarie says:

Hi! Thanks for liking my blog post. I’m glad I was able to check out yours!

I definitely understand what you mean about choosing between two completely different fields. I was a liberal arts major in college and felt like I needed to do more with my degree, and now I am working in marketing for a publishing house. I just started my blog this year to have a creative outlet, and so far I feel like it is really helping me with balancing two loves (working in marketing/publishing and also photographing, writing, and styling). If you do stick with finance, be sure to have a creative outlet so you can enjoy your other dream! 🙂 I think blogs are a great way to accomplish that. Anywho…good luck with everything 🙂

-Madeline (madelinemariehall.com)

• Jess Nguyen says:

I love your story! It’s definitely very comforting to digest. I, too, am a liberal arts student so I have been facing a lot of dilemmas when it comes to making important life decisions. But it’s great to know that the possibilities are endless for us. And what a coincidence! I am working as a marketing intern as well now. 🙂

Yes! I think that’s what I am going to do as well! I honestly don’t think I can go on without this blog. It’s been my savior for the past 1-2 years.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing with me your story. It means a lot! ❤