REAL TALK: Who inspired me to pursue my passion in fashion?
It was last school semester when I realized that I did not feel fully satisfied with my current life, even considering how busy I was with classes and extracurriculars. Don’t get me wrong. I was having some of the happiest times of my life with the people there. But when I was staying up 2 or 3 in the morning to catch up work everyday, I started questioning the load of schoolwork that was being given to me. Let me get this straight: I am not bashing the value of getting a college education (I actually endorse it despite its flaws in the system), but I do want to make you think the reason behind you getting one. I definitely think that going to college is worth it, but I realized that I have to be the one to somehow make it worth it.
That’s when I started questioning why I was willing to go through some of the monotonous aspects of my lifestyle.
It wasn’t just school either. I had other commitments outside that made me just as happy but not as complete. I was just not content with what I had then. Basically, everything seemed too straightforward and predictable. All I knew was that I wanted to deviate from that path and create something. I wanted to do something for me by me.
In the meanwhile, I had been following a couple of Youtubers and bloggers for a couple of years now. I admired how they were able to channel their passions to the public and even create a business out of it (now that’s true entrepreneurship) – whether it was related to fashion, beauty, fitness, photography, singing, acting, comedy, video games and etcetera.
So, out of watching and reading so much of their work, I concluded with a resolve to create my own blog. This was not possible without the help of my friend, Annarose, who offered me her photography skills.
Moving on to the main subject, these were the top three people who became my main sources of inspiration. Their accomplishments became the reasons that pushed me to start up my blog one night. They are my role models.
1. JENN IM from clothesencounters
Her style and personality are one-of-a-kind. Her tastes are specific and very “Jenn Im.” I absolutely love her videos!
Why Jenn is inspiring:
Edited photo from jenn-im.tumblr.com
– Two words: her style. Jenn is fearless when it comes to experimenting with clothes. In my opinion, Almost everything she owns is on my wish list. Watching her motivates me to add some attitude to my own closet/room!
– Jenn has her own identifiable “essence.” She stays loyal to herself even as she gradually becomes more well-known in the YouTube sphere. I think what keeps pulling me back to her channel is that Jenn stands out as a fashionista. She has proven herself to be versatile and unique at the same time.
– I really like how articulate Jenn is when she talks about fashion, antique-ing, traveling, and just about everything in between! She has a way with words and is down-to-earth about it.
– Jenn is funny and relatable. The fact that she loves Sex and the City, reads sci-fi books, and wears dark lipstick are enough reasons for me to want to be friends with her. It would make me so happy if I could meet and talk to her one day!
– She has a very strong of sense of self and an upbeat, laidback personality. Whenever I feel down, I tend to somehow gravitate towards her videos.
– I always want to shop for Doc Martens or some pair of chunky shoes in general after watching her outfit collections.
– Her travel diaries make me want to pack my bags and go! I think it’s interesting that she does not narrate as much in her older videos, because I think that fact allows me to appreciate all of the places she’s been a little more.
– On a last note, I wanted to mention her music choices – they are funky and “hella cool!”
All photos belong to Jenn Im and partnered companies.
2. CHRISELLE LIM from The Chriselle Factor
Chriselle’s blog updates are probably the ones I pay most attention to because her photos are so visually appealing. I actually saw Chriselle’s fashion blog way before knowing that she even got a YouTube channel.
– Ironically, she is the only fashion blogger out of the three. The fact that she came into the industry with a goal that she would make a career out of fashion blogging is truly admirable. Her ambitious self inspires me to pursue blogging as more than just a personal hobby.
– I respect the the way she carries herself in the digital world. I would say her professionalism is ideal for those who are or are aspiring to be public figures.
– Chriselle has a certain class that is unspoken but you can tell that it’s always there.
– The Chriselle Factor is the blog I look up to – her style abd beauty posts are simple, modern, and chic. What’s not to love about them?
– And her travel blog entries? Like any other photos on her blog, they take my breath away! #wanderlustfever
*Just heard about her special announcement yesterday! Congratulations, Chriselle!
All photos belong to Chriselle Lim and partnered companies.
You shouldn’t be surprised that she would end up on this list. After all, she is “only” a successful female Vietnamese American entrepreneur. REPRESENT.
– I admire how strong she has become as a person. Despite all of the negative online comments about her, she remains steadfast with what she does. As a follower, I can see that she’s grown a lot on YouTube.
– The fact that she is not afraid to show her geeky side (her love for video games and manga) is a unique side of Michelle. I think it’s awesome to know that someone who is as smart and beautiful can be comfortable with her true self as well.
Michelle is such a business savvy woman! She truly deserves all the hard work she’s done. I am so excited to learn about how she became successful through her book!
– Although her area of interest makeup, Michelle is in my top 3 because of her dedication to her passion. Let’s just say I definitely could relate to her struggles growing up.
– She is an artist. I am somewhat of an artist. Our love for creativity and art was where we started.
All photos belong to Michelle Phan and partnered companies.
So, now that I’ve told you mine, tell me who pushed YOU to pursue your passions. If you’re a blogger, write it out and let me know!
I hope this piece of writing allowed you to see a bigger part of me. Although this was not your typical blog post from Curiosity in Style, writing about my role models was something I knew that I had to do eventually because to me, they played very important roles in my life.
Disclaimer: All of these photos belong to their rightful owners. I do not own any of them.